• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2132
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250796 1 year, 6 months ago
One of the hardest runs I did was the Spring of 86. Completely spun out of control. The 2 maine shows are just a blur. After this spring run my dosing became furthur and farther between. Took some gellies and whoever laid them down did not explain the potency. Just way way too strong for my expectation and ended up unraveled during the first night.

03/19/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/20/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/21/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/23/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/24/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/25/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/27/86- Cumberland County Civic Center - Portland, ME
03/28/86- Cumberland County Civic Center - Portland, ME
03/30/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
03/31/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
04/01/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
04/03/86- Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT
04/04/86- Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by newyawker.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder
Posts:294

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250810 1 year, 6 months ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:

This was quite a feat. Having been to many of those shows I'd say you were quite fortunate. I think '82 was a better year, but '83 had some pretty darn good ones, plus some memorable break outs (Help>Slip> Franklins-Tempe and St. Stephen MSG)



83 was very erratic and Jerry visibly deteriorated quite a bit that year (he was so bloated at the end of the year New Years shows he was almost round). I think its a very underrated year, however. There were some very trippy, jammed out shows in there.

My 'peak' years were from 79-90 and every year had it's highlights. 82 had some really fun shows like Hartford with Phil's earthquake space and the unusual Scarlet-Fire at the Scope, but I would go with 83 over 82.


This is of course all very subjective, but I don't think any tour in '83 had four shows as memorable as my four favorites from summer '82...Austin, KC, 1st night Alpine and Iowa City.

One might counter this by saying spring '83 had Hampton, both nights Brendon Byrne and Burlington or either night Spectrum.
Summer had Park West (not so much for the show but the ambience), 1st night RR and both Santa Fe, and the fall tour was full of goodies.

Again, it's all subjective.


It is indeed very subjective. It's also hard if you haven't seen every show yourself. 83 may stand out because I saw such a high percentage of the shows (I saw a lot in 82 also but not nearly the same percentage of shows). I really liked Portland, Seattle and the two Sante Fe's in summer 83. But I didn't see 82 Austin, KC, 1st night Alpine and Iowa City so it's hard for me to compare.
83 had this trippy quality I loved, probably because Jerry was so drugged out.


Billy, I realize you weren't denigrating 83, just offering an opinion, but listening to tapes is a very different form of judging. There were shows I thought amazing that weren't as impressive when I went back and listened. And vice versa. My comments were specific to opinions of show as I was there.


You're so right! I think it's safe to say that being there vs. listening to the show is so different. However, I've had people send
me boots of shows I was at that they weren't and rave about how good they were as a testament to how good the shows were
drove home the idea how good the show actually was.

A great example of this was the last show Furthur played (last night at Broomfield) Anyone who was there talks about wetting their pants how much it meant to them, and any of us who've heard it know it's the bench mark by which we can measure this band.


I have thought quite a bit about the live vs. tape thing, and have experienced just what you said where I thought a show I saw was decent but others raved about it later and vice versa. One example is 3-14-81 Hartford, I thought the show live was OK, not a bad show, but certainly not as good as a few nights earlier at MSG, but when I recently went to DL the show from archive.org the user comments on 3-14-81 were raving about how good it was.

A show live can also have it's own barriers to judging the music. There may be noisy or annoying people around you, there may be distractions both good and bad, there may be alcohol or other substances clouding your perception. There could be a beautiful scene, and other's enjoyment of the music/scene around you can also alter your perception of how good the show is, etc etc. On tape you can play it at your convenience, you can truly focus on the music without any distractions, you can listen to it over to fully digest a song or phrase - a recording has it's advantages.

I have found that the two things that are always better live than on tape are the Drums segment and the Space segment. The Drum-space part of the show rarely translates to the actual event. Something about being there while the drum solo/duet was happening, and something about the quietness during Space, when the whole venue was mellow and waiting to see what they were going to do next, it was much better live than on recordings.
These are the good old days!!
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1362

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250811 1 year, 6 months ago
wlewis wrote:
^just curious. what happened with rochacha summer 88?


Just needed some rest and battery recharging before the Maine shows. We were allready in Saratoga and the Maine shows were coming up. One of the best moves I ever made as Rochester by all accounts was a really good show but the Maine shows were epic...and it was good to be um "relatively: fresh. Hey New Yorker I did those 86 Hampton shows and they were fantastic. 86 gets alot of flack (rightfully so as far as summer tour) but spring tour to "me" was really a continuation of 85. We were having a "high time, living the good life"
The following user(s) said Thank You: AcidTestGraduate
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1556

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250812 1 year, 6 months ago
newyawker wrote:
One of the hardest runs I did was the Spring of 86. Completely spun out of control. The 2 maine shows are just a blur. After this spring run my dosing became furthur and farther between. Took some gellies and whoever laid them down did not explain the potency. Just way way too strong for my expectation and ended up unraveled during the first night.

03/19/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/20/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/21/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/23/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/24/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/25/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/27/86- Cumberland County Civic Center - Portland, ME
03/28/86- Cumberland County Civic Center - Portland, ME
03/30/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
03/31/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
04/01/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
04/03/86- Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT
04/04/86- Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT


Sorry to hear you had bad experiences. Between Hampton and Philly
there were some pretty intense experiences. That 2nd night in
Hampton I was quite high on several levels
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6476

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250814 1 year, 6 months ago
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
wlewis wrote:
^just curious. what happened with rochacha summer 88?


Just needed some rest and battery recharging before the Maine shows. We were allready in Saratoga and the Maine shows were coming up. One of the best moves I ever made as Rochester by all accounts was a really good show but the Maine shows were epic...and it was good to be um "relatively: fresh. Hey New Yorker I did those 86 Hampton shows and they were fantastic. 86 gets alot of flack (rightfully so as far as summer tour) but spring tour to "me" was really a continuation of 85. We were having a "high time, living the good life"


yeah, many times i should have probably skipped one to be refreshed the next night. live and learn. solid run though man.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2132
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250819 1 year, 6 months ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
newyawker wrote:
One of the hardest runs I did was the Spring of 86. Completely spun out of control. The 2 maine shows are just a blur. After this spring run my dosing became furthur and farther between. Took some gellies and whoever laid them down did not explain the potency. Just way way too strong for my expectation and ended up unraveled during the first night.

03/19/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/20/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/21/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/23/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/24/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/25/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/27/86- Cumberland County Civic Center - Portland, ME
03/28/86- Cumberland County Civic Center - Portland, ME
03/30/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
03/31/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
04/01/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
04/03/86- Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT
04/04/86- Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT


Sorry to hear you had bad experiences. Between Hampton and Philly
there were some pretty intense experiences. That 2nd night in
Hampton I was quite high on several levels


Nothing to be sorry about, my body communicated very loudly to me that I took too much too fast. Missed 2 great shows in Maine. Recovered april fools day.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2132
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250821 1 year, 6 months ago
wlewis wrote:
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
wlewis wrote:
^just curious. what happened with rochacha summer 88?


Just needed some rest and battery recharging before the Maine shows. We were allready in Saratoga and the Maine shows were coming up. One of the best moves I ever made as Rochester by all accounts was a really good show but the Maine shows were epic...and it was good to be um "relatively: fresh. Hey New Yorker I did those 86 Hampton shows and they were fantastic. 86 gets alot of flack (rightfully so as far as summer tour) but spring tour to "me" was really a continuation of 85. We were having a "high time, living the good life"


yeah, many times i should have probably skipped one to be refreshed the next night. live and learn. solid run though man.


Easier said than done Lewie. We get so caught up in the scene we do not think with much balance. But great advice none the less. The ability to recupe at that age was tremendous. 19 without a care in the world!!!!!!!!! Just a pocket full of cash and stash. And yet I got hit by a bus that left me in tatters.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by newyawker.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6476

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250822 1 year, 6 months ago
newyawker wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
newyawker wrote:
One of the hardest runs I did was the Spring of 86. Completely spun out of control. The 2 maine shows are just a blur. After this spring run my dosing became furthur and farther between. Took some gellies and whoever laid them down did not explain the potency. Just way way too strong for my expectation and ended up unraveled during the first night.

03/19/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/20/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/21/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/23/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/24/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/25/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/27/86- Cumberland County Civic Center - Portland, ME
03/28/86- Cumberland County Civic Center - Portland, ME
03/30/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
03/31/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
04/01/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
04/03/86- Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT
04/04/86- Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT


Sorry to hear you had bad experiences. Between Hampton and Philly
there were some pretty intense experiences. That 2nd night in
Hampton I was quite high on several levels


Nothing to be sorry about, my body communicated very loudly to me that I took too much too fast. Missed 2 great shows in Maine. Recovered april fools day.


the "unraveling" of oneself beautiful and horrifying experience with LSD yet perhaps a milestone, a rite of passage in your psychonautical adventures
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2132
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250826 1 year, 6 months ago
wlewis wrote:
newyawker wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
newyawker wrote:
One of the hardest runs I did was the Spring of 86. Completely spun out of control. The 2 maine shows are just a blur. After this spring run my dosing became furthur and farther between. Took some gellies and whoever laid them down did not explain the potency. Just way way too strong for my expectation and ended up unraveled during the first night.

03/19/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/20/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/21/86- Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
03/23/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/24/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/25/86- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
03/27/86- Cumberland County Civic Center - Portland, ME
03/28/86- Cumberland County Civic Center - Portland, ME
03/30/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
03/31/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
04/01/86- Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
04/03/86- Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT
04/04/86- Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT


Sorry to hear you had bad experiences. Between Hampton and Philly
there were some pretty intense experiences. That 2nd night in
Hampton I was quite high on several levels


Nothing to be sorry about, my body communicated very loudly to me that I took too much too fast. Missed 2 great shows in Maine. Recovered april fools day.


the "unraveling" of oneself beautiful and horrifying experience with LSD yet perhaps a milestone, a rite of passage in your psychonautical adventures
Exactly. I do remember just getting hit so hard and fast. I went from laughing to scared to death in like 30 minutes. Lasted about 6 hours. The problem was noone I was with took the same gel. Never did that before or again after that. Always took the same stuff as others I was with. All I remember is a humming in my head and cold sweat!!!!
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
karenrose
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1287
What a long, strange trip it's been..

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250855 1 year, 6 months ago
Chiming in for my boyfriend who says he saw every show from Dec. 15, 1986 thru NYE 1987. He went to a total of 433 shows including Europe 1990.
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by karenrose.
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds